PHYSICAL Location - Northern CommunicationS
More than just an answering service!
Northern Communications Answering Services is located within the head office of Northern Communications Ltd. in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. The complex has been engineered with the latest technology and security to ensure that services for all of our clients will continue no matter what the situation. This attention to detail has allowed us to grow and expand over the last 50 plus years. The main office has been certified and is inspected on an annual basis by the Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC), Canada’s premier organization for independent, not-for-profit product safety testing and certification.
Some of the major features of the complex include:
- The building covers three floors and about 12,000 square feet, and is owned 100% by the corporation. This gives Northern Communications the ability to make any physical modifications that we deem necessary to enhance our security and monitoring capabilities.
- The NCS site is within a quarter mile of the main telephone company Central Office switch (Minto) in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. The telephone cables enter the building through an underground conduit and are terminated in a room that is locked and alarmed. They are then run throughout the building via protected and separate conduits.
- Electricity enters the building in another area of the building as well. From the main distribution point, it is routed throughout the building through conduit. In case of a power disruption a number of safeguards have been put in place:
- All “critical” devices, computers and telephone systems are backed up on a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Systems)
- Many devices have an individual UPS as well as being on the main building UPS.
- Depending on the device and the call volume load at the time of the outage, on average we can operate for a number of hours on our emergency battery system.
- In a power outage everything continues to run on the batteries. The Generator has an auto-start system and as soon as there is an interruption in the hydro the Generator automatically starts and goes on-line to power the entire building within about one minute. By powering the entire building, all services continue to run so our heating, air conditioning, all lights and all electrical plugs continue to operate as normal. We even make coffee if needed!
- When power is restored, the generator control system switches the building back over to the commercial supply, powers down the generator and returns it to standby.
- On a scheduled basis we test both the batteries and the generator individually under load to confirm that all is working well.